How Do I Organize For Storage Rental?
- Pack all smaller items in uniformly sized boxes. This will make it much easier to load your storage unit and will save on space. Make sure you put heavier items in the bottom of the boxes.
- Put books on their side. This will prevent damage to their spines. Use smaller boxes if possible, as books can be quite heavy.
- Mattresses should be put in large plastic covers to protect them, especially for long term storage.
- Make sure all clothing, blankets and linens are clean before storing. Put your clothing on hangers in a wardrobe box.
- Use special purpose picture/mirror boxes for those items. This will protect them from scratches and damage from falling.
- Use old blankets to protect surfaces of wooden furniture from being scratched.
- Pack your dishes and glassware in dishpacks. Use an adequate amount of paper to protect them in case the box they are in is dropped.
- Pillows and stuffed animals can be placed in large garbage bags. Save these items for last as they can easily be put on top of other items since they are very light.
- Appliances should be stored only after they are cleaned and emptied of all consumables. Store them upright and with their doors open slightly to allow for ventilation.
- Never store furs, coins, jewelry and other expensive items in a storage shed.
- Never store firearms, fuels, used oil or tires in a storage shed.
- Remember to label all your boxes. You should be able to tell what is in a box without having to open it.
Packing your personal belongings to go into storage can seem like a difficult task, but with a little forethought and these tips, putting your stuff into storage should go smoothly.